Saturday, June 8, 2013

Thank you Lexus.......well, not really

Lexus all have a good time

I will admit it.  Sometimes there are problems that come along that freak me out because I can't find a cause.  Enter the Lexus.......   A customer brought a 2000 Lexus ES300 to me because it wouldn't start and when I finally managed to get it to start (insert exasperation here) it died almost immediately.  Finding no obvious problems, I took a minute to find my Zen clear-thinking pose.  I decided to deal with the problem of the non-idling first.  What could cause it to not idle with no discernible engine problems?  Time for a Google search, or in this case, Youtube.  Here's what I found:



It turns out that the idle air control valve gets plugged up with carbon after a while. This causes it not to move and the car will not idle.  Here's a  picture of the offending creature involved:

Take off the two screws you see here on the black part of the control valve.  Underneath you will see a small round piece of metal that will probably be stuck.  Turn this back and forth with your fingers several times until it moves freely.  When it is unstuck, put the cover back on and you are done.  This seems to happen a lot to the Toyota engine here so make it a plan to clean it once a year or so.  

It's quite possible that this could save you a ton of money as the control valve is quite expensive.  Once again proving that doing your homework can save you money.   

If anyone is interested, and I'm not saying you are but since its my blog, I did discover the problem with the Lexus involved.  One, the control valve was stuck. Two the starter on the Lexus was fried.  New starter and cleaned control valve and it ran perfect.  It was, however, difficult to explain to the customer that they had two problems, not just one.  I think that is where my Zen training really came into play..........

No comments:

Post a Comment